Job title: Apprentice Electrician, 1st 6 Months
Job description: NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
This position is governed by a local union contract.
An Apprentice Electrician, working under the direction of a journeyman electrician and /or Maintenance Supervisor, performs the duties of an Electrician and attends the apprenticeship training classes.
- Learn and practice safe methods and procedures for personal protection, protection of fellow workers, and protection of the public per NRG/Plant Operations policies and OSHA standards.
- Install, maintain, test, inspect, and repair generating station, substation, and related facilities equipment.
- Successfully complete apprenticeship training classroom and on-the-job requirements.
- Works with other crafts or contractors.
- Operates heavy equipment such as overhead and mobile cranes, forklifts, bucket trucks, and use hand and power tools to repair plant equipment.
- Repair, test, troubleshoot, inspect, install, remove, and maintain power plant equipment such as generators, transformers, breakers, switchgear, motors and auxiliary electrical equipment such as, freeze protection, overhead cranes, cabling and power feeds.
- Diagnoses and corrects electrical equipment issues.
- Power Plant Environment: Work both inside and outside in all temperatures and climate conditions in accordance with Heat Stress procedures.
- Work around large rotating equipment, energized electrical equipment in high noise areas, and/or in confined places, on elevations in excess of 250 feet, or from platforms at heights of 5 feet or greater.
- Climb stairways, ladders, and work from aerial devices.
- Must be prepared to work irregular or rotating shifts and respond to emergency callout 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Ability to work in mentally stressful environments: must be able to react to crises where immediate action is required to correct or curtail potentially damaging or hazardous situations.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in a related field; or eighteen months power plant experience; or two years’ experience as an industrial electrician or electronic technician.
- All external candidates must receive a rating of Recommended on the NRG Pre-employment Assessment Test.
- Valid Drivers’ License required.
Preferred Qualifications: N/A
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to communicate orally and in written reports, condition of equipment and status of jobs to supervision, operations, and other craft personnel and outside service representatives.
- Knowledge of electricity, voltage, and current relationships.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Company environmental guidelines.
- Ability to learn mechanical and electrical control equipment and basic power plant equipment operation.
- Use precision measuring devices.
- Assist Journeyman in the repairing of electrical and electronic instruments, troubleshooting faults in electrical circuits and restoring them back to operation.
- Assist in switching to clear circuits for equipment maintenance safely and correctly.
- Use tools, material, and work control documents to assist Journeyman in troubleshooting malfunctions of plant equipment and make or recommend repairs and corrections.
- Follow, interpret and act on written and verbal job instructions, and reports, technical manuals and data.
- Properly size conduit, cable, conductors and install and terminate them.
- Ability to Tag Out/Lock Out equipment per NRG’s Tag Out/Lock Out procedure.
- Ability to use a personal computer and associated software.
- Ability to operate Company vehicles and equipment (e.g. forklift, plant vehicles, etc.) and maintain operating licenses and certifications.
- Ability to apply knowledge of plant operations, equipment and skill area knowledge to daily decision making.
- Ability to do routine cleaning of work area.
- Ability to complete all written and electronic records to document work in progress and completed.
- Daily work expectation requires ability to perform tasks by walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting, twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and extended from body to complete repairs.
- Lift, carry, position and use tools and/or equipment (weighing up to 50 lbs.) in awkward positions, swing various weights of sledgehammers, stoop and bend to reach valves, pull on chain-falls or come-a-longs.
- Ability to twist the body and neck while driving company vehicles or operating company equipment.
- Performance of duties may cause frequent jarring of the body.
- Work with and around hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required i.e.…steel-toed boots, respirators, goggles, safety glasses etc.
- Have ability to discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals.
- Ability to discern assorted colors.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at )
Official description on file with Human Resources
Location: Jewett, TX
Job date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 08:58:16 GMT
Apply for the job now!