Job title: CHIEF DATA OFFICER
Company: State of Florida
Job description: Requisition No: 325502
Agency: Management Services
Working Title: CHIEF DATA OFFICER – 72003992
Position Number: 72003992
Salary: Based on Experience
Posting Closing Date: 03/30/2021
Chief Data Officer
Florida Digital Service
State of Florida Department of Management Services
This position is located in Tallahassee
The Florida Department of Management Services (DMS) is a customer-oriented agency responsible for managing the various business and workforce-related functions of state government. Under the direction of Governor Ron DeSantis and DMS’ Executive Leadership Team, the agency oversees the real estate, procurement, human resources, group insurance, retirement, technology, private prisons, fleet, and federal property assistance programs utilized throughout Florida’s state government. DMS is relied upon to establish, maintain and improve the business processes used by state employees to create a better, not bigger government. DMS facilitates the delivery of these programs and services and provides tools and training to bolster the efficiency and effectiveness of the state’s workforce. It is against this backdrop that DMS strives to demonstrate its motto, “We serve those who serve Florida.” DMS’ employees embody four pillars on a daily basis: lead by example, serve with excellence, create efficiencies, and challenge the status quo.
This position manages the Data Management section of the Department of Management Services and is the Chief Data Officer (CDO) for the State of Florida. The CDO is responsible for assimilating, cataloguing, inventorying and monitoring the State of Florida’s meta data and business meta data. The CDO provides vision and strategy for data management, and he or she is a champion for global data management, governance, quality, and vendor relationships across the state enterprise. The CDO must be an extremely effective communicator, working with the Florida Digital Service, Executive Office of the Governor, the Legislature, agency customers, and other stakeholders to align data management efforts with business initiatives as well as ensuring the data needs of partners both public and private sector are met.
- Establishing and implementing a vision for how the state of Florida can securely, and with privacy at the forefront, leverage its data to better deliver government services and transparency.
- Designing with constituent privacy as a requirement, deploying strategies to increase the volume and reliability of digital transactions.
- Ensure that data practices align with the state CIO mandate to govern the prioritization and approval of IT investments.
- Recommend open data technical standards and terminologies for use by state agencies, by local, state and federal partners, weighing the impact of variables including privacy, security, compliance, ownership, and performance questions tied to cloud storage.
- Establish data-enabled strategies from concept through implementation.
- Establish and oversight of data policies, standards, and organization of the enterprise’s data.
- Develop an enterprise data inventory, in consultation with state agencies, describing the data created or collected by each respective agency.
- Establish enterprise data management standards, including master data management and management standards, including processes for data linkage and data interoperability.
- Recommend options for developing and maintaining an open, machine-readable data catalog.
- Recommend potential methods for standardizing data across state agencies with a focus on promoting interoperability and a reduction in the collection, management, or storage of duplicative data.
- Manage the deployment of an enterprise data catalog and the enhancement and evolution of it.
- Assist the State Chief Information Officer in the determination of data security and privacy requirements.
- Coordinate with the State Chief Information Security Officer to assess data vulnerabilities collaborate to better protect the State’s data.
- Coordinate with the State Enterprise Architect to help facilitate the development of enterprise data governance and data interoperability.
- Manage the open government data effort and support exposing data as a service to enterprise and public stakeholders.
- Lead the development of enterprise business intelligence and data strategies.
- Lead the development of an enterprise data model to include considerations of unstructured data.
- Work with agencies on establishment of best practices for enterprise data management.
- Facilitate the development and use of interagency data sharing agreements which comply with defined data standards.
- Continually research and advocate for the best technical solutions for data management which are cost effective and driven by business need.
- Develop an enterprise analytics program to support state leaders in data-based and/or data-informed decision making.
- Provide educational opportunities to state staff for data analysis, machine learning, artificial intelligence, business analysis and data governance.
- Develop an assessment process for data maturity and work with agencies on continual improvement of data management processes.
- Manage and comply with all statutory, rule, and or interagency requirements of the Chief Data Officer or his/her work product.
- Expand the enterprise’s research and analytics offerings, especially in emerging analytical approaches, skills and technologies, focusing them on digital business innovation.
- Foster the creation of a data-driven culture, related competencies and data literacy across the enterprise.
- Identify new kinds, types and sources of data to enable innovation throughout the organization.
- Create and oversee a centralized service for sourcing external data to ensure quality, traceability, timeliness, usability and cost-effectiveness. Define processes for the effective, integrated introduction of new data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Proven and effective administrator who must have significant and substantive experience in data management, data governance, interoperability, and security.
- Basic coding knowledge and experience.
- Significant experience with popular database programming languages.
- Significant experience with distributed data and computing tools.
- Significant experience of working across multiple deployment environments, including cloud, on-premises and hybrid, multiple operating systems, and through containerization techniques.
- Significant experience using BI and data analytics tools to provide valuable insights into the enterprise’s operations.
Machine Learning and Data Science Knowledge/Skills:
- Experience in one or more discovery/analysis platforms.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques; including generalized linear model (GLM)/regression, random forest, boosting, trees, text mining, hierarchical clustering, deep learning, convolutional neural network (CNN), recurrent neural network (RNN), T-distributed Stochastic Neighbor Embedding (t-SNE), and graph analysis.
Additional Leadership and Management Skills:
- Demonstrated team building abilities, with a focus on defining job roles, recruiting talent, and nurturing a supportive and innovative team culture.
- Proven ability to balance team and individual responsibilities, build teams and consensus, get things done through others not directly under his/her supervision.
- Proven ability to work ethically and with integrity.
- A strong commitment to building a diverse and inclusive team culture.
- Accountability, Communication, Empowerment, Flexibility, Integrity, Respect, and Teamwork.
A bachelor’s or master’s degree in business administration, computer science, or equivalent is ideal but not required.
- Significant experience implementing Data Management and Analytics solutions.
- A demonstrable history of influencing others through consensus building in a cross functional environment.
- Understanding of US/EU privacy laws, including GDPR and CCPA.
- Strong experience developing and managing data governance policies and deployments.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams and managing enterprise-wide data programs, operating and influencing effectively across the organization.
- Experience in integrating complex, cross-corporate processes and information strategies, and/or designing strategic metrics and scorecards.
- Strategy and management consulting experience is highly desirable.
- Adept in agile methodologies and well-versed in applying DevOps/MLOps methods to the construction of ML and data science pipelines.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage large data science projects and diverse teams.
DMS is committed to successfully recruiting and onboarding talented and skilled individuals into its workforce. We recognize the extensive training, experience and transferrable skills that veterans and individuals with disabilities bring to the workforce. Veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact our recruiter for guidance and answers to questions through the following provided email addresses:
An individual with a disability is qualified if he or she satisfies the skills, experience, and other job-related requirements for a position and can perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must contact the DMS Human Resources (HR) Office at (850) 488-2707. DMS requests applicants notify HR in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
Successful completion of background screening will be required for this position.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Job date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 07:35:08 GMT
Apply for the job now!