Job title: Civil Engineering Intern – Water Divison
Company: City of Goose Creek
Job description: Under the direction of the Director of Public Works or other DPW staff, the Intern position performs a variety of skilled and unskilled tasks associated with the Department’s Water Division. Under general supervision, performs moderately difficult civil engineering tasks related to a wide variety of water distribution projects. The work consists of duties related to the drafting, construction, inspection, and record keeping of various projects for the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs drafting, surveying, and engineering technology functions.
- Completes drafting assignments utilizing Computer-Aided Drafting/Design (CADD).
- Updates and maintains the water distribution system map and associated valve cards utilizing AutoCAD, GIS (Geographic Information System) and GPS (Global Positioning System) equipment and software.
- Assists with field inspections and assessment of construction sites.
- Assists with valve exercising and hydrant flushing program.
- Assists water division personnel as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Enrollment or completion of a curriculum in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Computer-Aided Drafting or related field.
- One to three years of experience in surveying, drafting and design and / or civil engineering technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Civil Engineering and/or water distribution systems as they relate to municipal public works.
- Basic knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Proficient in the use of computers and Computer Aided Drafting (CAD).
- Ability to perform complex mathematical computations, including algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric calculations.
- Ability to read and visually interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Ability to use engineering calculators, computers, plotters, survey, and drafting equipment.
- Skill in oral and written communication
The work requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally with a negligible amount of force to move objects and the following physical abilities: feeling, fingering, hearing, mental acuity, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, talking, visual acuity.
The work is typically performed in an office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were written out in this job description.
The City reserves the right to revise this position description at any time.
City of Goose Creek
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Job date: Sun, 02 May 2021 04:39:21 GMT
Apply for the job now!