Job title: Cluster Substitute Teacher – (UP Academy Boston) (SY21-22)
Company: Boston Public Schools
Job description: About UP Education Network
UP Education Network operates five schools in Boston and Lawrence, MA, serving more than 2,600 elementary and middle school students. UP is invited by local school districts to restart chronically underperforming district schools as UP Academies. Each UP Academy shares the same mission: to ensure that students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential.
The Cluster Substitute is a full-time member of the school staff and plays the critical role of providing daily coverage at their specific campus as needed to ensure consistency in academic programming. Cluster Substitutes also have regular duties in the course of the day, similar to lead teachers. Cluster Substitutes participate in all ongoing professional development and receive ongoing coaching from instructional leaders. Cluster Substitutes at UP Academies often move into teaching positions after being successful in their role.
- Effectively execute lesson plans for assigned classes
- Perform all assigned school duties
- Consistently hold students accountable to school-based behavior management plan
- Participate in school-wide professional development and activities, as well as cohort meetings
- Communicating effectively with all students, staff and families
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree is preferred
- Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment.
- A passionate belief in UP Academy’s mission, values, and educational model;
- A deep desire to work with educationally underserved student populations and their families;
- An unwavering commitment to the academic success and personal development of our students;
- An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them;
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
- A sense of humility
At UP, your career is shaped by:
- Opportunities for immediate impact: UP offers a chance to bring best practices found in high-performing schools to students previously enrolled in struggling schools, and to rapidly unlock the potential of these students.
- Talented, mission-driven colleagues: Our staff is enthusiastic, dedicated, and willing to do “whatever it takes” to put every student on the path to college.
- Collaboration and teamwork: Staff members collaborate and work closely together on grade-level or content area teams, using data to track student performance as well as guide instructional practice.
- Consistent professional growth and development: Members of our staff typically have bi-weekly check-in meetings with their managers where they receive targeted coaching and support. Additionally, the entire staff participates in weekly professional development sessions during the school year, kick-started by extensive training in August.
Compensation and Benefits
UP Academy follows the salary scales and salary placement policies of each UP Academy’s host school district or state turnaround plan; please see the relevant union’s collective bargaining agreement for additional details. As an employee of UP Academy and your respective school district, you will receive the same access to personal and sick days, health insurance, and dental insurance as others within your union.
We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position for which they are qualified. Our students must be exposed on a daily basis to a diverse group of powerful role models. Therefore, we have a responsibility to recruit, retain, develop, and reward a diverse and talented staff from a wide range of backgrounds to join our creative, mission-driven team.
Terms: BTU, Group 2
Next year, many BPS schools will have a longer school day through the “Schedule A” Extended Learning Time (ELT) agreement. To learn more about ELT at BPS and whether or not this school is a “Schedule A” ELT school, check here: bostonpublicschools.org/elt.
THE BOSTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS, IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITS NONDISCRIMINATION POLICIES, DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE IN ITS PROGRAMS, FACILITIES, OR EMPLOYMENT OR EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, AGE, CRIMINAL RECORD (INQUIRIES ONLY), DISABILITY, HOMELESSNESS, SEX/GENDER, GENDER IDENTITY, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENETICS OR MILITARY STATUS, AND DOES NOT TOLERATE ANY FORM OF RETALIATION, OR BIAS-BASED INTIMIDATION, THREAT OR HARASSMENT THAT DEMEANS INDIVIDUALS’ DIGNITY OR INTERFERES WITH THEIR ABILITY TO LEARN OR WORK.
Job Title : Cluster Substitute Teacher – (UP Academy Boston) (SY21-22)
Primary Location : UP Academy Boston
Salary Range : 1.0 FTE
Shift Type : In-District Charter
Location: Boston, MA
Job date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 06:47:07 GMT
Apply for the job now!