Job title: Computational Accelerator Physicist Postdoc (Multiple Openings)
Company: Berkeley Lab
Job description: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s ( ) Accelerator Tech-Applied Physics ( ) Division has an opening for a Computational Accelerator Physicist Postdoc to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will participate in the advancement of the theoretical and computational beam, accelerator, and plasma physics through one or more of the various activities that occur in the program. These include the development of novel or improved theoretical models, the development, analysis and implementation of novel algorithms, the development and maintenance of state-of-the-art simulation codes, the application of the codes to the modeling of beams, particle accelerators, light sources, plasma devices, and other synergistic problems, the use of machine learning to speed up time to the solution during simulations and particle accelerator optimizations, and the exploration of new computing paradigms such as quantum computing.
What You Will Do:
- Participate in the development of better or new theoretical models.
- Develop state-of-the-art simulation codes.
- Develop and analyze novel algorithms.
- Apply simulation codes to the modeling of beams, particle accelerators, light sources or plasmas devices.
- Conduct original research independently and in collaborations.
- Document and present results at collaboration meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences and publish in refereed journals.
- Mentor students as needed.
- Adhere to Environment, Safety, and Health (EH&S) policies and practices.
What is Required:
- Ph.D. in Physics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a related field.
- Knowledge of beam physics, particle accelerator physics, plasma physics, laser-plasma interactions, plasma-based acceleration or related field.
- Experience in large-scale parallel scientific computing or performance optimization on modern architectures.
- Proficiency with programming languages and numerical methods used in scientific research, including parallel programming, data analysis, and visualization.
- Demonstrated publication record in a relevant field and proficiency in presenting and publishing scientific results.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and multitasking skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and prioritization/organization skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to adhere to project schedules.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment that includes physicists, applied mathematicians, computer scientists, software engineers, and students both within and outside LBNL.
- This is a full-time, 2 years, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates for our faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.
Job date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 05:41:26 GMT
Apply for the job now!