Job title: Construction Health & Safety Specialist
Company: Berkeley Lab
Job description: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has a new opening for a Construction Health & Safety Specialist in the (EHS) to provide technical expertise to solve complex construction safety and EHS-related issues for a variety of large-scale capital projects. In this position, you will be responsible for providing a range of professional safety expertise and safety support for complex construction projects, subcontractor field work and consultation in many subject matter areas, including industrial hygiene, construction health and safety, subcontractor health and safety, maintenance health and safety, excavations safety, fall protection, and ladder safety. This is a great opportunity to apply your professional and subject matter knowledge to ensure the Laboratory mission and operations meet applicable health and safety requirements and work is performed safely across the Lab.
What You Will Do:
- Act as the EHS Field Representative for assigned projects throughout the lifecycle of the construction project.
- Review site-specific safety plans, including JHAs, project-specific plans/programs, training records, and SDSs. For subcontractor Site Specific Safety Plans, verify that adequate forethought has been given to each phase of construction and the proposed work plan meets safety regulations.
- Identify EHS specialty areas that require supplemental support, and engage subject matter experts or their line management to retain needed support.
- Facilitate resolution of conflicts in EHS comments/recommendations.
- Maintain current project tracking tools (e.g., Smartsheet, Bluebeam) throughout the duration of projects.
- Coordinate EHS support of high hazard reviews, safety inspections, self-assessments, committee meetings, and assist in accident investigations.
- Partner with subcontractors to familiarize them with Berkeley Lab’s safety and industrial hygiene expectations and to provide guidance to steer their safety management of ongoing and upcoming activities in the proper direction.
- Perform complex health and safety field measurements and hazard evaluations.
- Recommend, develop and implement programs, policies and procedures for monitoring and preventing chemical, physical and biological hazards and diseases present in the organization’s work areas.
- Develop and conduct employee training and hazardous materials communications programs. Ensure that quality control procedures are implemented according to all regulations.
- Write technical reports based on the expert interpretation of data, observations, and current regulations. Provide accurate written reports to applicable standards and ensure that information is entered into the IH CHESS database.
- Assure day-to-day work, operations, and activities in your assigned area(s) and activities are conducted safely and within established work authorizations in accordance with PUB-3000, Chapter 1.
- Represent Berkeley Lab in interactions with the Department of Energy (DOE), regulators, peers at other facilities, clients, and management.
What is Required:
- BS/BA in Occupational Safety or Industrial Hygiene and a minimum of 5 years of experience, or a combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Broad knowledge and work experience in the detection and control of hazards involved with technologies in a research environment.
- Experience reviewing Master Specifications, IIPPs, Safety Plans, RFIs and submittals and other relevant construction documents.
- Direct experience in applying OSHA, ANSI and other related health and safety requirements / regulations in a wide variety of construction or other work environments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills to interact with Facilities and EHS Division management/staff, project managers/superintendents, and subcontractors.
- Proven ability to provide program direction regarding problem solving/ investigation processes and be able to resolve conflict through leadership.
- Proficiency with standard business software, including word processing, presentation software, and spreadsheets.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of this position, including minor lifting (up to 25 lbs), frequent standing and walking, moving in confined spaces, climbing stairs, inspecting equipment requiring reaching with hands and arms, frequently stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), and/or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
- This is a full-time, 3-year Term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Job date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 01:24:40 GMT
Apply for the job now!