Job title: CPZ Conservation Camp Counselor
Company: Wildlife Conservation Society
Job description: Department
Job Title: Conservation Camp Counselor
Location: Central Park Zoo
Reports to: Curator of CPZ Education
Schedule: June 7-September 3, 2021 (35 hours/week), Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-4:00 PM
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is hiring 9 Conservation Camp Counselors (CCC) to work with its on-site (8) and remote (1) summer camp programs facilitated out of our wildlife parks in New York City. This is a unique opportunity to explore education at an informal science institution. You will work part-time in the WCS Education Department. You will report to work on-site at one of our parks. This is not a remote work opportunity. Together with staff you will teach exciting science content, welcome campers with diverse interests, abilities, and backgrounds, and maintain a lively learning environment. You will have the opportunity to learn about different teaching styles and methods, facilitate fun activities, and practice “classroom” management.
- You are creative, energetic, dependable, capable of taking initiative and enjoy working as part of a team.
- You have experience leading fun activities with children, an enthusiasm for learning, an interest in wildlife and/or conservation science.
- You are committed to instilling a love of learning and fostering a supportive environment for children from all walks of life.
WHO WE ARE
WCS saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. To achieve this, we harness the power of our Global Conservation Program in nearly 60 nations, in all the world’s oceans, and our five wildlife parks in New York City – Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Queens Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, and New York Aquarium – visited by 4 million people annually. We combine our expertise in the field, zoos, and aquarium to achieve our conservation mission.
The WCS Education Department works across our Zoos & Aquarium. We inspire a diverse and inclusive movement of conservation advocates by sparking connections with animals and nature, improving scientific literacy through hands-on investigation, and engaging constituents in stewardship and action to conserve wildlife and wild places.
As a Conservation Camp Counselor (CCC) you will:
- Work on-site at one of our parks. This is not a remote work opportunity.
- Follow and reinforce WCS COVID-19 Safety Procedures, including wearing masks and sanitizing after activities.
- Teach engaging summer camp programs, alongside full-time education staff.
- Facilitate science experiments, art projects, games, and explorations inspired by the zoos and aquarium
- Inspire campers from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds with a love of wildlife and science
- Support educators in re-working camp activities to fit unique learning styles of campers
- Prepare and organize materials for camp programs
- Participate in training before the start of camp and throughout the summer
- Attend regular meetings
- Additional responsibilities as required
ON-SITE Summer Camp Program CCCs will additionally:
- Spend the majority of time outdoors facilitating programs with children.
- Teach summer camp programs in-person with children ranging in grades 1st-8th.
- Supervise children outside in our parks at designated program locations and at exhibits.
- Travel with campers throughout park facilities and outdoor spaces.
REMOTE Summer Camp Program CCC will additionally:
- Spend the majority of time facilitating programs remotely with children through various virtual platforms.
- Teach summer camp programs remotely with children ranging in grades PreK-8th.
- Supervise children in the remote classroom while virtually accessing our exhibits and ambassador animals.
- Provide technological support to campers and families accessing our virtual platforms.
- With approval from the Animal Department, possibly train to handle ambassador animals.
- 18 years or older
- High school diploma or equivalency
- 2 years experience working with children
- Must be available to begin working on June 7th, 2021
- Must be available to work until September 3, 2021 (communicate any special circumstances in cover letter)
- Must be comfortable working outdoors in summer temperatures and all weather conditions
- Camp or youth education experience
- Pursuing a college degree, or have completed post-secondary courses, in a relevant field of study, such as, Education, Animal Science, Environmental Science, Biology, Ecology, etc.
- Teaching experience in formal or informal settings
- We work in a fun environment, in a natural, park-like setting, surrounded by amazing wildlife.
- We value team members and community partners from all backgrounds and cultures with different skills, abilities, and perspectives.
- We ensure that everyone has an opportunity to fully contribute to our mission.
WCS is proud to be an equal opportunity employment workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work and learning environment and building a culture where everyone is welcomed and can flourish.
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 07:04:09 GMT
Apply for the job now!