Job title: Director of Networking
Company: Berkeley Lab
Job description: (ESnet) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) has an exciting new opportunity for a Network Services Senior Manager to lead our Network Services organization. As the Manager of Networking for ESnet, you will be leading multiple managers and technical teams to build ESnet’s next-generation network and services using state-of-the-art technologies while providing world class operational support for ESnet’s current global network. As a member of ESnet’s executive leadership team, you will collaborate with ESnet leaders to develop and implement organization-wide vision, strategies, plans and programs.
ESnet is currently the fastest scientific network in the world and is widely regarded as a global innovator in network architectures, tools, and applications. ESnet links scientists and instruments across national laboratories, universities, and other research institutions. ESnet’s high performance network and data services facility enables scientists to collaborate on some of the world’s most important challenges including energy, climate science, and the origins of the universe. ESnet is funded by the Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science and operated by the ESnet team at LBNL.
What You Will Do:
- Provide overarching leadership and management of multiple networking leaders and production network services teams – whose responsibilities include building state of the art network solutions using new technologies while sustaining existing operational networks.
- Develop and manage ESnet network teams’ priorities, in alignment with ESnet’s strategic objectives and tactical plans.
- Contribute as a key member of the ESnet’s executive leadership team, working directly with ESnet’s Director and other members of the leadership team, to develop and implement organization-wide vision, strategies, plans, and programs.
- Work closely with the diverse ESnet user base to provide excellent service while ensuring short and long term requirements are understood and met.
- Recruit, coach and mentor staff, including managers and network engineers.
- Maintain a work environment that embraces diversity, fosters creativity and innovation, and builds an atmosphere of accountability to ensure that DOE and Laboratory rules and policies are observed.
What is Required:
- Proven track record of technical management with 10+ years of experience leading a diverse organization in building and managing scalable production networking systems and services, as well as 3+ years of experience as a leader of leaders.
- Knowledge, skills, education, and work experience for this position typically includes an advanced degree in Computer Science, or a related field, and progressively complex and currently applicable networking engineering and systems support experience and background in developing technical and organizational strategies and plans.
- Extensive knowledge and experience guiding the high level of architecture analysis and service strategy development, short and long term planning, and demonstrated skills in developing and executing concrete goals derived from organizational strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions consistent with organizational vision, goals, policies, and procedures. Sound judgment and the ability to take decisive action without all the desired information.
- Experience managing technologies relevant to the current and future high-performance network including multi-domain networking, virtual circuit services, IP, wide area network protocols, distributed computing systems, and software-defined networking.
- Extensive experience in project management and execution, including project budget and resource allocation. Demonstrated ability to lead and manage IT/Network projects to successful completion.
- Experience in mentoring other leaders, senior engineers, as well as less experienced staff members.
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation, customer service, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to independently formulate, document, and present proposals and trade-offs in an effective manner.
- This is a full-time, career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position accommodates US-based remote or onsite work at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.
Job date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 07:24:28 GMT
Apply for the job now!