Job title: Electrical Design Engineer – Plant Hatch
Company: Southern Company
Job description: Electrical / I&C Design Engineer – Site Design – Plant Hatch
If you want to make an impact, then we want YOU!
Want to use your skills to make a difference in your community every single day? Then join the Southern Nuclear team that’s improving the lives of our neighbors in Alabama and Georgia. We operate six units for Alabama Power and Georgia Power that generate vital energy for our communities:
- The Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Plant near Dothan, Ala.
- The Edwin I. Hatch Nuclear Plant near Baxley, Ga.
- The Alvin W. Vogtle Electric Generating Plant near Waynesboro, Ga.
We’re also building the future of energy with two new nuclear units currently under construction at Plant Vogtle. And we’re leading the charge on the research and development of the next generation of nuclear reactors – all for the benefit of our customers.
Thanks to our people, we’ve earned our place as an energy leader. If YOU want to want make a positive impact in your community and be part of the team that’s taking our industry to new levels of excellence, then we want YOU!
Electrical / I&C Design Engineer – Site Design – Plant Hatch
Summary of Job Duties:
We are looking for experienced electrical or instrumentation and controls (I&C) design engineers at Plant Edwin I Hatch Nuclear Power Plant near Baxley, GA.
Design engineer duties include preparation and coordination of design development, calculation development and update, drawing changes, and preparing project cost estimates and schedules for plant modifications and retrofits.
This position requires field walk downs in industrial environments for as-built verification and design constructability.
Additional duties include providing design oversight for products developed by external Architect / Engineering firms, interfacing with project managers, implementation engineers, and other plant department personnel to ensure all design requirements are met.
Design Engineers may have opportunities to manage special projects and perform key refueling outage roles, including design implementation oversight, problem solving and issue resolution, and conducting post modification testing.
Engineering assignments typically include on-call duty engineer and emergency plan response requirements. Emergency Plan functions require a 60-minute report time to the plant site following notification.
– BS in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution or a PE license – required for Engineering job family
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– 3 years of relevant engineering experience required.
– A background in engineering with working knowledge of applicable discipline codes and standards required
– Working knowledge of regulatory requirements related to the nuclear power industry preferred.
– Working knowledge in BWR Systems, structures and components preferred.
– Previous experience in electrical power system analysis and protection software tools like ETAP or CAPTOR is preferred.
– Strong oral and written communication skills.
– Proven organizational skills with ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
– Capable of working efficiently and effectively across organizations.
– Proficient in the use of Microsoft office products, specifically WORD, EXCEL and POWERPOINT.
– Accepts ownership of assignments.
– Holds self and others accountable for results.
– Develops strategy for optimum use of resources.
– Manages financial performance to control costs.
– Works through conflicts to create win/win situations.
– Values diversity and respects the dignity of every individual.
– Assumes personal responsibility for individual and company successes.
Please note: This position will require the successful completion of the SNC Initial, Continuing, and position specific Engineering Training as a condition of continued employment. The training is a rigorous period that may require studying after work hours.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World’s Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 02:42:24 GMT
Apply for the job now!