Job title: External Organizer – USWW
Company: Service Employees International Union
Job description: Description :
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is our country’s fastest growing labor union with more than 2
million members. We are on the cutting edge of bettering the lives of low-wage service workers and taking on the
larger issues that impact their lives from healthcare to education to immigration. The United Service Workers West
(USWW) is comprised of 45,000 property service workers from San Diego to Sacramento. Our union brings
together janitors, security officers, residential, stadium, arena and airport workers. These workers are the heart of
our union and through their activism the hope for a more progressive California. SEIU’s Property Services Division
in California has been on the cutting edge of building power for low-wage workers in service industries and fighting
in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration and racial. We are now hiring an
External Organizer to organize thousands of workers to join our union.
SEIU USWW has at least one (1) external organizer position available immediately, based in Los Angeles.
SOM E K EY JOB R ESPONSIB ILITIES
- Participate effectively on a team of organizers and researchers to plan and implement new worker
- Assist with research for corporate campaigns
- Recruitment and development of workplace leaders and worker committees
- Work with leaders and committees to educate, agitate and motivate workers into action
- Planning and executing actions, events, marches, etc. at worksites and beyond
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and prioritize needs and issues of a campaign
- Lead workers in union activities including organizing, political, and community campaigns
- Maintain accurate and detailed information on work sites and track individual worker info and assignments
- As needed, gather information for legal action to protect workers’ rights
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned. Work to support other key local union priorities, as needed.
SOM E OF T HE JOB REQU IR E M ENTS
- A strong commitment to social and economic justice and the labor movement
- Experience in external organizing campaigns organizing non-union workers
- Ability to effectively plan and implement work and manage time, as part of a team and individually
- Ability to travel to other work sites in California, ability to work extended and irregular hours, and theability
to work remotely
- Experience and knowledge of computer programs (including word processing, desktop publishing,
spreadsheet and database software)
- Valid drivers’ license, use of a car for work, and specified automobile insurance coverage are mandatory
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred but not required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable based on experience. (Based on Staff Union Contract)
- Full benefits package including health insurance, dental, vision, a pension plan and paid time off.
To apply, email a resume with cover letter explaining interest and qualifications.
Send e-mail to: Vu.Nguyen@seiu-usww.org or Sanjay.Garla@seiu-usww.org
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
SEIU-USWW is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Job date: Wed, 12 May 2021 06:20:15 GMT
Apply for the job now!