Job title: Lead External Organizer – USWW
Company: Service Employees International Union
Job description: Description :
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) is our country’s fastest growing labor union with more than 2
million members. We have been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service
industries and in leading the fight for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration, racial equity,
gender equity, and the environment. SEIU United Service Workers West (SEIU-USWW) represents over 45,000
property service workers across California. Our union brings together janitors, security officers, residential,
stadium, arena and airport workers. Our mission is to lead the way to a more just and humane society; building
power for all service workers by developing member leadership and activism, winning strong contracts,
organizing unorganized service workers, building political and community power, and engaging in direct action
that demonstrates our strength and determination to win.
SEIU USWW has a Lead External Organizer position available immediately, based in Alameda or San Jose.
SOM E K EY JOB R ESPONSIB ILITIES
- Develop & Lead staff to effectively organize workers, identify workplace issues and execute worksite actions.
- Support strategy and new organizing campaign by planning and coordinating with a team of organizers,
communicators, researchers and workers.
- Design & implement trainings and development plans for organizing staff and worker leaders.
- Train and assist staff to educate, Identify, recruit and develop worker leaders and worker-led committees.
- Maintain database with accurate and detailed information on worksites, individual workers and assignments.
- Recruitment and development of workplace leaders and worker committees
- As needed, gather information for legal action to protect workers’ rights & corporate research
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and prioritize needs and issues of a campaign
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned. Work to support other key local union priorities, as needed.
SOM E OF T HE JOB REQU IR E M ENTS
- Ability to effectively plan, implement work and manage time for a team of organizers and individually.
- Proven commitment to social and economic justice and improving the lives of working people.
- Experience in leading external organizing campaigns organizing non-union workers
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in fast-paced and diverse team environment.
- Ability to drive work independently, manage assignments, stay organized and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly convey information and ideas both verbally and in writing across audiences.
- Computer proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail, social media platforms, database &
- Ability to travel in California, ability to work extended and irregular hours, and work remotely.
- Valid drivers’ license, use of a car for work, and specified automobile insurance coverage are mandatory.
- Bilingual English/Spanish (written & verbal) is preferred
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable based on experience. (Based on Staff Union Contract)
- Full benefits package including health insurance, dental, vision, a pension plan and paid time off.
To apply, email a resume with cover letter explaining interest and qualifications.
Send e-mail to: Vu.Nguyen@seiu-usww.org and Sanjay.Garla@seiu-usww.org
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time.
SEIU-USWW is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Job date: Wed, 12 May 2021 04:15:37 GMT
Apply for the job now!