Job title: Legal Specialist (Corporate Secretary)
Job description: FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00}
The Legal Specialist provides support to the Corporate Secretary group, the broader Legal Department, and other groups throughout the Company on a wide-ranging scope of corporate governance matters.
The Legal Specialist joins the Corporate Secretary group reporting to the Corporate Secretary and Associate General Counsel. This role will report to the FirstEnergy General Office in Akron, Ohio, although may be located throughout our service territory and/or remote arrangements will be considered. This option is not available in the states of California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon or Washington at this time.
- Managing and supporting the electronic portal for disseminating materials to the FirstEnergy Corp Board of Directors and executives, as well as to the Boards of Directors and executives of FirstEnergy subsidiaries.
- Managing the Company’s subsidiary information and entity management system, and coordinating responses to external department data requests
- Coordinating with cross-functional liaison groups in support of Board and Committee reporting calendars and meeting topics; maintain master Board reporting calendar
- Supporting the Corporate Secretary team in compliance with various policies and procedures, including delegation of authorities
- Supporting in the organization and drafting of resolutions and meeting minutes for the Board of Directors of FirstEnergy Corp and its subsidiaries, and management of Board meeting materials
- Assisting with calendaring and coordination with directors regarding regular and special meetings of the Board of Directors of FirstEnergy Corp and its subsidiaries
- Supporting preparation, drafting and review of the annual proxy statement, including managing support files and records, data validation, and management of annual shareholder meeting action items
- Management of Director and Officer questionnaire data
- Management of related-party affiliation research and system updates
- Supporting of director compensation tracking
- Organizing and tracking of shares pursuant to the Company’s registration statements
- Assisting with group administration items, such as contract administration, preparing and maintaining weekly reports, administering, and maintaining other periodic reporting, etc.
- Conducting business efficiently and with the highest ethical standards
- Other general duties as may be assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent is required; Associate’s or bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 4 years relevant work experience is required. Relevant work experience includes supporting corporate Board of Directors and Committee governance operations, stock exchange compliance and records management, or similar.
- ABA Paralegal Certification or equivalent is required. Experience in legal or corporate governance preferred.
- Competent level of skill and familiarity with Microsoft Office; knowledge of SAP and FileNet is a plus, as well as experience with common Board portal platforms and entity management tools
- Strong teamwork and proactive ownership of responsibilities, able to effectively work with cross-functional teams
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments
- Strong critical thinking skills, communication skills, attention to detail, collaborator, and executive presence/leadership skills
- Strong owner of responsibility, and proactive seeker for continuous improvement
- Able to work additional time when needed, including flexibility with evening or weekend needs as may be required to support the Board of Directors
- Appreciation for FirstEnergy’s core values and behaviors along with demonstrated experience, mindset, and strong disposition toward transparency; unassailable integrity and trustworthiness
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Location: Akron, OH
Job date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:34:27 GMT
Apply for the job now!