Job title: Linux Systems Administrator/Dev Ops Engineer
Company: Berkeley Lab
Job description: Berkeley Lab’s (NERSC) is seeking a versatile Linux Systems Administrator and DevOps Engineer to help build and manage our Linux systems infrastructure.
NERSC operates some of the world’s largest supercomputers and storage systems to solve society’s most challenging computational problems. Scientists worldwide conduct their projects here with sponsorship from the Department of Energy’s Office of Science. In this position, you’ll help build and manage systems that complement the supercomputing environment: web services, databases, container and virtual machine platforms, high-performance storage, authentication, identity and access management, and others.
This is a great opportunity to learn about computational science and contribute meaningfully to real research projects and discoveries while putting your sysadmin and devops skills to use. No science background is necessary. You’ll join a group of systems and software engineers who manage services coupled to the supercomputing environment and will work closely with many others throughout the organization on a variety of projects.
If you are interested in science, have experience in managing systems, and would enjoy working in a creative environment with a bright and diverse group of colleagues (not to mention a beautiful view from our building in the Berkeley Hills), we want to hear from you!
What You Will Do:
- Work with other staff to build and manage Linux system and storage infrastructure
- Troubleshoot and solve complex technical problems with other team members
- Install, upgrade, and secure equipment and services
- Develop and refactor scripts and other code for automation and configuration management
- Develop team strategy and project plans
- Coordinate small project teams or other initiatives (such as the rollout of a new service or system, or a major equipment or software upgrade)
- Work with researchers to deploy services using our container cloud platform based on Kubernetes
- Participation in 24×7 on-call rotation
Additional responsibilities as needed:
- Build connections with colleagues at Berkeley Lab and other research facilities and work on collaborative projects
- Present new developments at science conferences and industry meetings
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Eight or more years of relevant work experience
- Four or more years of experience managing Linux systems
- Specialized experience with some or all of our key technologies:
- containers (such as Docker or Kubernetes)
- virtualization (such as VMware or oVirt)
- identity and access management
- database administration, tuning, and troubleshooting
- networked storage systems
- backup technologies
- Familiarity with automated provisioning systems (such as Chef or Foreman)
- Familiarity with configuration management systems (such as Ansible or Puppet)
- Ability to work with users to interpret needs, exercise judgment, and develop sustainable solutions
- Keen technical problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative, positive, and collaborative work style
- Ability to work both independently and in groups in an energetic, diverse environment
- Ability to coordinate projects
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in additional areas of specialization, as listed above
- Experience in software engineering or complex scripting
- Experience managing network equipment
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Job date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 06:17:39 GMT
Apply for the job now!