Job title: Pennsylvania Chapter Field Organizer (Spanish Speaking)
Company: National Domestic Workers Alliance
Job description: Position: Full-time with a 3-month probationary period; a 2-year commitment is preferred
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports To: Pennsylvania Chapter Director
The National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA) is the leading national voice for dignity and fairness for domestic workers in the United States. Our national alliance has grown from this founding group of 13 organizations to now more than 60 affiliate organizations, plus local chapters in Georgia, North Carolina, Washington DC, New York, Pennsylvania, Houston, and Southern California, and individual members from states without affiliates or chapters to join. We Dream in Black (WeDiB) is NDWA’s political home for Black domestic workers across the country. Our mission is to build the political power and visibility of Black domestic workers across the diaspora. NDWA believes that our organizing must be led by and center the lives of Black women because Black women are who the industry was built to exploit.
NDWA-PA was formed in 2018 as the only domestic worker organization in the state and has a robust, multiracial, and multilingual domestic worker membership primarily in Philadelphia. NDWA-PA won the groundbreaking Philadelphia Domestic Workers Bill of Rights in 2019 to extend labor protections to our workforce for the first time. In 2020 we won the Mayoral Worker Relief Fund to provide financial relief to workers excluded from COVID relief packages. We win these organizing campaigns through a focus on leadership development, political education, and community building within Philadelphia’s multiracial domestic worker communities.
The Field Organizer will report directly to the Pennsylvania Director and work as part of the organizing team to continue building a thriving membership of domestic workers. The organizer is also a creative person who understands how to build power, retain membership and create culturally affirming programs that actively engage women and low income workers in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania.
The Spanish Speaking PA Field Organizer will work to specifically engage Spanish speaking domestic workers in our local and national movement. The organizer will also further all Chapter campaign organizing, base building, leadership development, and political education goals, as well as advance full National goals. The Field Organizer will:
- Recruit new members through: social networks of current members; canvassing in the local community, outreach at events and worksites, personal visits, and phoning; planning and organizing membership activities; consistently involving workers and supporters in the organization and increasing their commitment.
- Design, facilitate, and lead multiracial, multilingual bimonthly chapter meetings for all NDWA-PA members.
- Support Domestic Worker Bill of Rights enforcement and implementation.
- Work with the PA Organizing Director and members to establish effective membership and organizing structure.
- Work with the PA Organizing Director to develop and implement leadership and career development programs that are relevant to the membership and to the work in Philadelphia.
- Ensure strong coordination of all Leadership and Career Development Programs Support Campaign Activities as necessary.
- Represent the chapter publicly and manage relationships with key partners.
- Work to advance National goals as necessary, such as the federal Domestic Workers Bill of Rights.
- Maintenance of data tracking systems.
- Must be fluent (speaking and writing) in English and Spanish;
- Highly motivated individual with a passion for engaging communities;
- Minimum 2 years experience in grassroots membership base building, particularly around issues of labor, racial, and immigrant justice;
- Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, and inspire community members;
- Experience developing, launching, and executing new campaigns and leadership development programs;
- Understanding of issues facing low wage workers, immigrant and African American communities, and other communities of color in Pennsylvania;
- Strong facilitation skills;
- Demonstrated leadership experience;
- Ability to work some nights and weekends;
- Strong and effective communicator;
- Basic computer skills: (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs);
- Hard-working and self-disciplined;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time efficiently.
- Knowledge of issues affecting domestic workers nationally and locally.
How to apply
Please send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to https://domesticworkers.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=167. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you.
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. NDWA is a union employer; this is a bargaining unit position.
Expected salary: $55000 – 65000 per year
Job date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 01:07:44 GMT
Apply for the job now!