Job title: Power Generation Plant Engineer (ESC) – Eureka, CA
Company: Pacific Gas & Electric
Job description: Requisition ID # 74605
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Generation
Job Location : Eureka
PG&E’s Power Generation Department manages and operates the largest privately-owned hydroelectric system in the nation. These renewable electric generation resources, located mostly at high elevation in California mountain ranges including the Sierra Nevada and southern Cascade mountains include 68 powerhouses, 184 miles of canals, 41 miles of flumes, 135 miles of tunnels, 19 miles of penstocks, 99 reservoirs, and 142,000 acres of watershed lands all covered by 26 operating licenses issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
The Humboldt Bay Generating Station (HBGS) is located in Eureka, CA, consisting of ten (10) Wartsila reciprocating engines with total net output of 163 MW and supporting equipment. The plant connects to both 60 kV and 115 kV grid for power generated.
This Journey Level Plant Engineer position is the first in a progression; the job performs tasks of limited scope under the guidance of the plant manager, operations and maintenance supervisor and the direct supervisor in the Fossil Engineering team. This job provides engineering, project support, and technical support to HBGS , O&M staff, for small to medium projects for improvements to power generation and infrastructure at the plant. This position will be located at the Generating Station.
This Journey Level Plant Engineer position is the first in a progression; the job performs tasks of limited scope under the guidance of the plant manager, maintenance supervisor and the operations supervisor. This job provides engineering and technical support to O&M staff, for small to medium capital and expense, improvements to power generation and infrastructure facilities at fossil fueled power plants.
External contacts typically involve oversight by more experienced plant management and include directing plant-related work and contract administration with contractors; and providing information and conducting limited discussions with external stakeholders.
Internal contacts are primarily with Power Gen personnel, including O&M clients and plant team members, and PG&E internal services organizations.
The primary role for this Journey Level Plant Engineer position is to support the operation of HBGS. This position can also support the fossil and hydro plants as time allows and as necessary. Assignments from the tasks below will initially require direction and supervision. With experience, the independence and responsibility will expand and the need for supervision will decrease. Jobs duties will vary by assignment and include, but are not limited to:
- Initial assignments from the tasks below will require direction and supervision; with experience the independence and responsibility will expand and the need for supervision will decrease. Jobs duties will vary by assignment and include, but are not limited to:
- Fully understands Power Gen safety program and requirements; looks for and resolves unsafe situations; models safe behavior through personal actions and design efforts; holds themselves and others accountable for safety; and contributes to Power Gen’s safety programs.
- Provides overall engineering support to operations and maintenance personnel to promote safe, reliable and efficient operation of the assigned plant.
- Provides assistance to plant management staff with appropriate design criteria and calculations; ensures proper checking, design reviews, approvals, and documentation.
- Ensures all drawings affected by design changes are updated in a timely manner to reflect as-built conditions.
- Assists the plant management team to ensure facility adherence to site design change management process.
- Provides support in the review and validation of O&M procedures, assures they are kept accessible and updated.
- Works with operations and maintenance to diagnose and troubleshoot plant control, electrical and mechanical systems as needed.
- Assists the plant management team to manage document control and plant library at assigned facility.
- Actively participate in plant environmental compliance issues. Principal backup responsibility to the environmental compliance manager including assisting the site compliance manager in compliance reporting
- Actively participate in root cause investigations.
- Participates and provides engineering review of Management of Change efforts including Process Safety Management initiatives.
- Investigates resources required to complete engineering and plant-related tasks
- Under direction, evaluates and makes recommendations to resolve plant equipment problems. Supports start-up tests and equipment inspections as assigned.
- Assists the plant management team in conducting performance evaluations of power plant systems, major components and to conduct equipment performance tests as needed.
- Assists plant personnel to monitor unit efficiency using plant performance tools to identify and troubleshoot deviations from expected values.
- Assists the plant management team to provide technical direction to Design Engineers and Drafters; including quality checking of all work;
- In emergencies, promptly responds to facility failures to support assessment and corrective actions as needed.
- Supports plant management staff by assisting in the following:
o Assists in compiling and reporting to both internal and external stakeholders (GAD’s, NERC, FERC, GUSS, others as needed).
o Assists in troubleshooting and resolving issues with the plant chemistry PPT.
o Assists the plant management team to Obtain commitment on detailed work plans including schedule, cost, resource, contingency and communication plans
o Assists in annual development and monthly analysis of plant budget.
o Assists plant management staff to Assure implementation of applicable quality standards
o Ensures the proper use of the CMMS
- Other duties as assigned as related to Engineering by Plant Management.
- A 4-year BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US is required.
- Successful completion of California E.I.T. examination.
- At least 18 months of engineering experience specifically with the fossil fueled power generation technology in use at the subject plant.
- Current and active California PE license desired.
- A 4-year BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Able to apply basic engineering and power plant operations principles and theory.
- Assists plant management staff to identify information needed to solve a problem; gather and organize information in systematic manner; develop simple analysis and/or support more complex analysis by more experienced engineers; prepare basic reports and displays of data logically and according to established standards and guidelines.
- Has basic understanding of utility industry, general knowledge of design requirements and industry standards, and proven ability to develop simple designs and specifications.
- Able to assist plant management staff to provide technical and/or plant oversight and direction to consultants, suppliers, and construction firms to meet routine to moderately complex plant needs.
- Ability to combine technical & business judgment in applying engineering and plant operational principles and techniques to determine cost effective and practical solutions.
- Understands PG&E’s basic financial and business policies & practices and tools, and able to apply appropriately to the cost estimating, economic analysis, justification, and approval of routine moderately complex plants.
- Strong communication and analytical skills; effectively communicates orally and in writing; able to present basic information in informal and formal group settings; able to facilitate plant team meetings.
- Approaches and plans work in an organized manner to meet plant commitments.
- Demonstrates good judgment when making decisions and recommendations, including solicitation of guidance from experienced personnel.
- Works with more experienced engineers and plant managers to further their own development.
- Proactively evolves engineering and plant operational skills and knowledge through industry associations & conferences, technical workshops, trade publications, and additional formal education.
- Proficient business computer skills such as Microsoft Office Suite Programs (emphasis on Excel, Word, and MS Plant).
Location: Eureka, CA
Job date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 08:25:58 GMT
Apply for the job now!