Job title: Principal Scientist, Research & Development
Job description: Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
About Abbott Diagnostics
Diagnostic testing is a compass, providing information that helps in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a range of health conditions.
Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools give you accurate, timely information to better manage your health. We’re empowering smarter medical and economic decision making to help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life. Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on Abbott’s diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of people.
Summary / Location
Our location in Abbott Park (Lake County), IL currently has an opportunity for a Principal Scientist to design, conduct, and lead advanced projects; provide technical leadership; multi-disciplinary within technical disciplines. This person will be part of the new product development organization helping to identify conceptual prototypes and develop them into commercially viable product architecture for the ARCHITECT and Alinity i platforms.
What You’ll Do
- Designs and executes experiments; applies advanced multi-disciplinary analytical techniques.
- Analyzes data from multiple experiments, formulates conclusions and determines future experiments.
- Integrates data and identifies critical process variables.
- Presents scientific observations to others.
- Presents at Management Stage Gate Reviews.
- Presents external to R&D (within other areas of or outside of Abbott). Trains lower-level scientists.
- Expertise and Problem Solving: Establishes criteria and technical standards for excellence; anticipates, recognizes and resolves technical problems; identifies new directions for research.
- Project Planning: Generate and champions new project ideas.
- Establishes project and leads project planning, updates and process improvements.
- Leads the technical assay development team and manages efforts across cross functional teams.
- Translates top-level goals to specific project level goals for individual team members.
- Establishes and reviews complex plans for multiple projects or activities.
- Plans resource allocation and distribution.
- Develops contingency plans.
- Scientific Leadership: Submits ideas for inventions; publishes; innovates through patent filings and/or scientific publications.
- Performs FTO’s (Freedom to Operate).
- Economic Profitability: Provide direction to project team to meet economic profitability (EP) profile for the project (product cost analysis). Lab Safety: Participates in lab safety.
- Documentation: Appropriately documents experimental procedures and results according to established guidelines.
Education And Experience You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. plus 6 years’ experience or B.S./M.S. with equivalency*; proven track record of research which advances technology within the division. *Equivalency to Ph.D. defined as ability to hypothesize, design own experiments, draw conclusions, and provide direction.
- Basic Computer Skills.
- Advanced knowledge of multiple analytical instruments.
- Proficient with eNovator and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to run the ARCHITECT i1000, i2000 and Alinity i instrument platforms.
- Track record of developing and delivering successful products.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at , on Facebook at and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
JOB FAMILY: Research and Discovery
DIVISION: ADD Diagnostics
LOCATION: United States
Abbott Park : AP20 Floor-1
WORK SHIFT: Standard
TRAVEL: Not specified
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE: Not Applicable
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link – English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link – Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf
Job date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:43:40 GMT
Apply for the job now!