Job title: Public & Government Relations Manager
Company: OXNARD HARBOR DISTRICT
Job description: The Port of Hueneme ~
Oxnard Harbor District
is seeking a
Public & Government Relations Manager
$68,534 ~ $104,510
Under general supervision of the Chief Commercial and Public Affairs Officer, the Public and Government Relations Manager acts as liaison between the Oxnard Harbor District and the Public. The Public and Government Relations Manager establishes and maintains effective, cooperative relationships with the community, government officials, educational partners and their representatives, news media, customers, stakeholder organizations and other groups.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION: (Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following)
- Planning, developing, and implementing Government Relations strategies.
- Develop press releases in coordination with the CEO.
- Act as Port’s Public Information Officer
- Attend community information meetings such as City Council meetings, public agency meetings, and other type meetings and/or events that may have an impact on the Port from Government Relations standpoint
- Represent the CEO & Port on community/industry boards including EDC, and FuturePorts.
- Prepare talking points for Commissioners and District staff when attending District held and public events.
- Communicating with colleagues and key spokespeople.
- Liaising with, and answering enquiries from media, individuals, and other organizations, often via telephone and email.
- Organizing events including press conferences, exhibitions, open days, and press tours.
- Sourcing and managing speaking and sponsorship opportunities.
- Serve as the point of contact for government elected offices.
- Coordinate the Port’s legislative priorities at the local, regional, state, and federal levels of government to support business objectives, labor objectives, government relations strategy.
- Lead and manage the daily workflow and strategize with executive staff to drive and achieve legislative priorities, to anticipate emerging issues, and to leverage opportunities to advance the Port’s 2030 Strategic Plan Goals. Collaborates with the Port Commission, CEO, and Executive Staff to identify legislative priorities, emerging issues and proactive policy objectives and develops/executes strategies to advance the Port’s Strategic Plan agenda.
- Work with staff to instill and maintain a highly proactive posture in seeking out political opportunities to elevate the Port’s political reputation, relevance, and effectiveness. May serve as the lead staff person for specific issues, projects or with certain legislative entities.
- Utilize clear understanding of the Port Commission’s public policy priorities and create impactful opportunities for Port Commissioners to leverage their unique expertise and position to advance the Port’s Goals.
16. Regularly confer with the Port’s Executive Leadership Team to understand and identify opportunities for advancing the Port’s business interests (maritime, economic development) through multiple forms of governmental engagement including legislative advocacy, working with governmental agencies and departments, addressing regulatory matters, pursuing funding opportunities, etc. * Collaborate with other Ports as needed in advancing collective legislative priorities.
- Represent the Port at various association meetings including AAPA & CAPA events/meetings/phone calls/etc.
- Manage an apprentice in government relations outreach efforts when one is available.
- Prepare the annual business plan for government initiatives outreach in accordance with District’s plan.
- Write some of the Port’s grant applications as applicable to the public affairs department and collect community/industry support letters.
- Provide written content for Dock Talk Newsletter, radio spots, port promo videos, and various printed collateral materials.
- Craft editorials for Commissioners and staff for publication.
- Complete and submit applications for awards and merit recognitions on behalf of the Port.
- Update economic studies including the District’s CEDS (Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy) and additional port economic impact studies.
- Act as the point person for memberships and sponsorships on Government Relations level-examples include AAPA, CAPA, Ventura County Economic Summit, etc.
- Assist District Commissioners while traveling domestically and internationally.
- Generate content for social media when needed.
- Support the CEO with her duties with Federal and State and local committees- such as AAPA, CAPA and other organizations and initiatives.
- Support the CCO/CPAO with Government relations and reaching department goals as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and understanding of the functions and processes of all levels of government to include but not limited to Congress, Executive branch and other federal, state, regional and local governments, and agencies. Demonstrated experience in policy development and thorough understanding of dynamic political factors that can influence and determine the outcome of important legislation. Thorough understanding of the Port’s business enterprises and operations and the unique role of ports to state economy. Demonstrated understanding in the process of how legislation is drafted, amended, and passed; and how to read and understand complex legislative initiatives and port issues quickly and accurately.
- Strong interpersonal, political savvy, critical thinking, relationship, and consensus building skills. Demonstrated skill in effective communication, both verbal and written. Strong time management, communications, decision making, presentation and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with key elected officials and staff, industry advocates and other key stakeholders to advocate for Port initiatives. Ability to work with people of all perspectives in a collaborative manner, ability to build trusting relationships.
Combination of education and experience demonstrative knowledge, skills, and abilities equivalent to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Administration, Political Science, Economics, Business, or a related field.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience working in a variety of levels of public sector/government (Federal, State, and/or Local agencies) or private sector.
- Experience managing projects and multiple coinciding projects and issues.
- Experience managing challenging issues and working directly with elected officials in the process.
- A current, valid California Class C driver’s license at time of appointment and maintained at all times thereafter in order to operate a vehicle on District business.
- Must be able to successfully obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Card, (TWIC Card).
APPLICATION SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
2) FULLY COMPLETED Oxnard Harbor District Employment Application Form (on Port’s website)
3)RESUME (with employment history and significant accomplishments)
4)REFERENCES (Submit two (2) Professional and two (2) Personal references)
CLICK TO BE DIRECTED TO APPLICATION INFORMATION ON OUR WEBSITE
Expected salary: $68534 – 104510 per year
Location: Port Hueneme, CA
Job date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 08:21:55 GMT
Apply for the job now!