Job title: Research Assistant II -Jolley Lab
Job description: Location: LOC_MAIN-Main Hospital
Req ID: 96321
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
The Jolley Lab at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is a collaboration between clinicians, engineers, and computer scientists to better understand, and ultimately intervene upon, dysfunctional pediatric heart valves.
A research assistant in the Jolley Lab will be an essential part of this effort. This position offers the opportunity to build competencies in translational research and gain exposure to the practice of medicine, specifically pediatric cardiology, pediatric cardiac surgery, and pediatric cardiac anesthesia.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Consent patients and the parents of children for research studies
- Utilize custom, easy to use software developed in house for making computer models of pediatric heart valves from 3D ultrasound (no programming experience required)
- Associate clinical database information with heart valve models to allow translational insight into the mechanism of dysfunction of abnormal valves
- Model existing and novel transcatheter devices
- Collaborate with engineers doing finite element modeling and physical modeling of heart valves
- Work with virtual reality, 3D printing, and other techniques for visualizing pediatric hearts and heart valves
- Participate in the scientific process of research study design, IRB approval, data analysis, and preparation of written reports, oral presentations, or manuscripts.
Dates: Spring or Summer 2021 (flexible start date) – June 2022. Can extend indefinitely. Two-year commitment ideal, but one year possible.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelor’s degree required- Master’s preferred
- High level of initiative and ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Desire to be part of a team effort
- Proficiency in basic computer programs (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel) and willingness to learn to use new programs (RedCap database, custom valve modeling tools, data analysis)
- Basic exposure to statistics (class or portion of class) helpful.
Application: Please submit the following materials (in PDF format) to Matthew Jolley at
- 1 page cover letter. Please detail your interest and include any other points of interest you may feel are relevant to this position.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Questions: Please direct any questions to Matthew Jolley at
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, 4-6 years scientifically relevant experience required
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
- Master’s degree preferred, 1-3 years scientifically relevant experience
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 06:21:45 GMT
Apply for the job now!