Job title: Senior Chemical Safety Officer
Company: Vanderbilt University
Job description: Job Description:
The Senior Safety Officer (Chemical Safety and Hazardous Waste Mgt) will support the VU research community regarding all existing and developing aspects of the Vanderbilt University Chemical Safety, Industrial Hygiene and Hazardous Waste Management Program which is administered by Vanderbilt University Environmental Health, Safety and Sustainability department (VU EHSS). Under the direction of the Chemical Safety Assistant Director, this position will support the development and implementation of VU EHSS policies for the safety of those who use hazardous chemicals in research, including toxic gases, and generate hazardous waste. In addition to supporting those using hazardous chemicals in research, this position will communicate with support units including departmental administrators, facilities operational groups and emergency responders to enhance the overall safety and research compliance of research lab environments. This position will also support the administrative management of the Vanderbilt University Chemical Safety Committee (CSC) and conduct training and support activities for this committee to fulfill its responsibilities under applicable hazardous chemical and waste regulations, requirements, and standards of practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain training modules, educational materials, and job aides based on the latest chemical safety standards of practice endorsed by Vanderbilt University; deliver live trainings as needed.
- Contribute to the development of policy and procedural documents intended to address existing and emerging chemical safety and security needs.
- Assist Principal Investigators and research staff/students in risk assessments to determine procedures, policies, exposure monitoring, containment practice and equipment needs.
- Coordinate and assist research staff/students with activity-specific/site-specific hands-on training to support effective safety procedure implementation.
- Perform periodic lab safety audits including review of lab space, hazardous material inventory, safe use practices and procedures, training, chemical and waste storage, chemical generation, and needed documentation to support compliance and Vanderbilt’s safety culture; prepare and share findings with Principal Investigators, the CSC and designated stakeholders and assist with, monitor and document corrective actions.
- Provide technical guidance to researchers as well as research enterprise administrative support units on chemical safety, industrial hygiene, risk reduction, product substitution, and hazardous waste-related matters.
- Coordinate and lead incident/exposure analysis and corrective action development associated with lab exposures, injuries and near-misses as appropriate; prepare findings and recommendations using root cause analysis principles and in accordance with applicable external agency requirements.
- Assist with coordination of the monthly CSC meeting agenda and preparation of supporting documents and presentations.
- Manage day-to-day operation of hazardous waste collection and management program for Large Quantity Generator.
- Safely and in accordance with all rules, regulations, procedures, and approved processes collect, transport, store, label, and bulk hazardous chemicals and waste from throughout campus.
- Manage chemical waste vendor relationship, shipments, manifests and receipts.
- Generate and submit required regulatory hazardous waste reports on behalf of VU.
- Serve as a technical expert to support emergency response needs as appropriate. Participate in the on-call schedule.
- Adhere to chemical safety and hazardous waste management service standards to meet customer and administrative expectations.
This position will not have initial supervisory responsibilities but might supervise student interns. Will serve in a lead role on projects and activities carried out by the Chemical Safety Team to support EHS service efforts.
- A master’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental engineering or health, industrial hygiene, occupational safety or other related technical specialty is preferred; a baccalaureate degree in a field previously described is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a role with principal responsibility for chemical safety or research lab safety program development and management with a master’s degree, minimum 5 years experience with a bachelor’s degree.
- Certification as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and/or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of chemical safety and hazardous waste regulations, OSHA Lab Standard, hazardous material/waste shipping regulations, and other applicable regulations and standards of performance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to develop training materials, presentations, program documents, procedures, and compliance reports. Strong ability to deliver training and program-specific presentations in an efficient, effective, and innovative manner.
Key Characteristics of a Successful Team Member in this Unit:
- Acceptance of Feedback – Takes constructive criticism with grace and make improvements without taking it personally or holding grudges. When wrong, owns it – freely admits mistakes.
- Adaptability – Reads cues and adapts accordingly. Adjusts style and approach to accommodate the styles and needs of others. Can anticipate and effectively de-escalate potential conflicts.
- Analytical & Detail-Oriented – Accurately assesses information and applies applicable law, policy and procedure. Considers the long-term implications of actions today and advises employees appropriately. Even small mistakes can create big issues; attention to detail work indicates care about the outcomes.
- Autonomous – Self-managing; self-motivated. Manages time, activities and outcomes well so that progress stays on track. Cleans up after themselves.
- Honest and Transparent – Doesn’t have hidden agendas. Doesn’t play people against each other. Is authentic and forthright.
- Integrity – Holds oneself accountable; takes responsibility for failures as well as successes, recognizes that trust is required to hold a team together.
- Naturally Communicates – Readily shares information and is comfortable working within a highly collaborative team. Communicates proactively. Understands that open communication and the sharing of knowledge is fundamental to the success of the team. Asks for advice and considers it thoughtfully.
- Raises the Bar – Expects and delivers excellence. Is a creative problem solver. Is proactive. Welcomes input on making things better. Places a high value on learning and getting better.
- Works through Issues – Recognizes that the work is about successful outcomes. If things aren’t going well, outcomes suffer. Is willing to have crucial conversations if things aren’t going well. Doesn’t just complain to management . . . does everything possible to remedy the situation directly first.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please note, all candidates selected for an offer of employment are subject to pre-employment background checks, which may include but are not limited to, based on the role for which they have been selected: criminal history, education verification, social media review, motor vehicle records, credit history, and professional license verification.
About Us: Vanderbilt is a community of talented and diverse staff & faculty!
At , our work – regardless of title or role – is in service to an important and noble mission in which every member of our community serves in advancing knowledge and transforming lives on a daily basis. Located in , Tennessee, on a 330+ acre campus and dating back to 1873, Vanderbilt is proud to have been named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” as well as a top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area by Forbes for several years running. We welcome those who are interested in learning and growing professionally with an employer that strives to create, foster and sustain opportunities as an employer of choice through:
- Working and growing together as a community of communities… we are One Vanderbilt.
- Providing a work environment where every staff and faculty member can be their authentic and best self, while providing the resources and opportunities to learn and grow.
- Encouraging development, collaboration, and partnership both internally and externally while fostering the value that every member of the Vanderbilt community can lead and grow regardless of title or position.
We understand you have a choice when choosing where to work and pursue a career. We understand you are unique and have a story. We want to hear it. We encourage you to apply today so that you might become a part of our story.
Vanderbilt University has made the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University requires all employees to (1) participate in routine on-campus COVID-19 testing or (2) show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
Location: Nashville, TN
Job date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 01:10:28 GMT
Apply for the job now!