Job title: Senior Geotechnical Engineer/Senior Mine Geologist
Company: Kinross Gold Corporation
Job description: Located approximately 26 miles from the City of Fairbanks, Fort Knox is a centre of excellence for the Company as one of the few cold weather heap leach facilities in the world. In 2016, the site poured its seven millionth ounce of gold, 20 years into its mine life. The initial is expected to extend mine life to 2030.
Responsible for providing geotechnical and geological engineering support to the department to ensure that the mine functions effectively and safely with minimal impacts tot the business. Implement and improve site geotechnical programs to meet or exceed industry standard. Responsible for a wide range of functions ranging from simple to very complex, including, but not limited to: installation of monitoring equipment, interpretation of monitoring data, 2D and 3D stability modelling, planning and executing multiple projects. To be familiar with and understand the principles of the environmental policy and also to maintain and support procedures and work practices aimed at preventing accidents or injuries.
Note: This position will be filled with a job title of either Senior Geotechnical Engineer or Senior Mine Geologist.
- Management of slope stability radar systems to ensure maximum slope coverage and system up-time. Tis will require occasional troubleshooting in the field or other minor system maintenance with the assistance of radar manufacturer.
- Management of the prism-monitoring program for the open pit.
- Interpretation of monitoring data and effective communication of conclusions or results.
- Inspect active mining areas and advise Planning and Operations personnel on geotechnical issues or hazards that require remedial measures or other safety protocols to be enacted.
- Synthesis and interpretation of geotechnical data from various sources such as pit mapping, drill core, televiewer surveys, to validate and/or update geotechnical models.
- Construction of stability models to explain slope behavior and calculate Factors of Safety (FoS).
- Prepare periodic reconciliation reports comparing actual min performance against geotechnical design parameters and assumptions.
- Coordinate with geotechnical consultants to ensure design criteria are effectively implemented and optimized based on operational performance.
- Assist with continuous improvements in drilling and blast designs while ensuring they comply with mining regulations and site standards as they relate to Geotechnical Wall Control blasting.
- Collection and evaluation of blast induced seismicity/vibration data.
- Project management duties, including, but not limited to: contract review, bid award, cost estimation, schedule tracing, and reporting.
- Ensure geologic information is updated in a timely and accurate manner.
- Keep current on new developments in the geotechnical and other fields that might improve efficiency in handling and interpreting geologic data.
- Maintain accurate records and files.
- Fill in for Principal Geotechnical Engineer as needed.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Geology with disciplines such as Geotechnical, Mining, Geological Engineering, Structural, or Economic Geology.
- Must have mining industry experience on large-scale open-pit mines. Preference of at least 5 years’ experience.
- Practical experience with advanced geotechnical monitoring instruments and techniques.
- Requires a high level of computer literacy with specialized mining software. Prefer experience with MineSight, Rocscience software packages, and WellCAD.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Skilled in decision-making, problem solving, and time management. Strong organizational skills.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and persuasive skills.
Reports to Principal Geotechnical Engineer
Background Check required
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Job date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 05:50:52 GMT
Apply for the job now!